Telco Spend and Demand in Victoria Report – Access Economics June 2010

Teleco Spend and Demand in Victoria Report - Access Economics June 2010Victoria’s telecommunications market has undergone rapid change in the past five years, highlighted by the emergence of many different types of data services. Most notably has been the widespread adoption of mobile wireless data services, and the general shift toward faster broadband connections. The federal National Broadband Network (NBN) program, if it goes ahead, is set to transform the sector further over the next eight years, rapidly increasing the speeds at which Victorians can access data.

Total expenditure for Victoria in 2009/10 is estimated to be $10.8 billion. By comparison, the previous study commissioned by Multimedia Victoria estimated the market at just under $10 billion in 2006 and $8.8 billion in 2003. The majority of telecommunications expenditure occurs within Metropolitan Melbourne, with a market size of $8.1 billion (75%) compared with $2.7 billion of expenditure in the rest of the State. Household expenditure accounts for 55% of telecommunications expenditure, while business and government expenditure accounts for the remaining 45%.

Posted in Asia Pacific, Communications, Digital Economy, Economy, Information, National Broadband Network, VIC and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .