Click here to download the report: 2010 Innovation Review New Thinking Directions Report AI Group Oct 2010
The Australian Industry Group today welcomed the New Thinking, New Directions Report by the National Innovation Review Steering Group (the Steering Group). The Steering Group was set up by Ai Group in mid 2010 and comprised representatives from industry, government and academia. The Steering Group was tasked with the role of driving a business-led conversation about building innovation capability in Australia. It has concluded that the National Broadband Network is an “unprecedented opportunity” for business innovation and placed a premium value on the ubiquitous nature of the proposed fibre roll-out.
The report was based on a five month engagement with more than 400 businesses. Ai Group Chief Executive, Heather Ridout, said the report highlights the need for both Government and industry to support Australian innovation.
The report explores 7 themes;
– Transforming culture by showcasing innovation
– Leveraging the Australian broadband opportunity
– Building and embedding professional innovation skills
– Developing new models & incentives for research/business collaboration
– Re-examining the role of government procurement in fostering innovation
– Using corporate venturing to improve access to finance for innovation
– Streamlining access to government programs and support
With reference to the National Broadband Network, the participants said that irrespective of what technology was used, ubiquitous connections to both business and households, coupled with Government’s wholesale-only open access model, was an opportunity for a “step-change in Australian innovation.”